So, what did you do today...?

Merlin III

Actually, yesterday I almost bought another bike, an F650GS. I read the advertisement in ADVRIDER and decided to setup a test ride and buy it. Now, the next morning, there is no response by the seller and the ad is gone. I feel some disappointment and also some relief at the same time. I don't have the bike, but I still have 7000 dollars in my bank account. :)

ofdave

Gotta agree with Merlin, wouldn't even hike that road.
The F650GS is darn decent but the V Strom 650 may be a better choice-lots of aftermarket, good prices for late model used, and a near bullet-proof engine. They are just a little too tall for me and my short legs.

Merlin III

Gotta agree with Merlin, wouldn't even hike that road.
The F650GS is darn decent but the V Strom 650 may be a better choice-lots of aftermarket, good prices for late model used, and a near bullet-proof engine. They are just a little too tall for me and my short legs.

Same issue here Dave. I wish someone would design an Adventure bike with a lower seat while maintaining a good shock with adequate travel. I know it can be done.

Merlin III

Like I said in the other post I went for a ride to Lake Geneva Wisconsin. Here are some of my thoughts...

I hate to sound negative ,but these are things to consider if a person decides to tour on a bike...

I was watching a fellows touring video's. This person had been out west numerous times and he mentioned how, over the years, there has been a sharp increase in tourism and how that ruins the experience. He mentioned how some of the best National parks in Utah have become bumper to bumper traffic at certain times of year. I have to agree. Lake Geneva is a beautiful place, but now you have to pay to park and there are people everywhere. I don't think I will go back. The same thing at Indiana Beach in Indiana. I hadn't been there since the middle 60's and now, except for a few glimpses, I couldn't even see the lake.

The same thing applies to camping. Thirty years ago camping on a bike trip was fun because it was like being one with nature, but now, with all the RV's, it's like camping out in a mobile home park. I've seen that many camp sites discourage tent camping. I understand why people do it in RV's and I'm not criticizing them, but it degrades the experience for me. Oh well, to each their own. The world is changing.

I guess the point is that it might be best to stay away from the most popular vacation spots, that is if you prefer a more visceral experience.
There are thousands to small State Parks out there that discourage trailer camping. They also have lots of good scenery and kindred spirits. I use the LL Bean app for finding my camping spots. One thing I never do is go to commercial camp grounds. As for National Parks, you have to go off season if you want to avoid real crowds. Even during season, you can always get a camp spot. The first day each year when you can make reservations at the big name parks, they get sold out for the season. The thing is that half of those people never show up. After 3 (don't quote me on that time), they open up all the spots not claimed by reservation holders. Last time I went out west, which was a couple of years ago, I didn't notice exceptionally large crowds. I am not sure that applied to weekends since since retiring I never know what day of the week it is.