New Picture

Steven

I just took this tonight- And! it has the CTX in it.

It was taken about 11:00pm in a small town (St George, Illinois) about 7 miles from where I live. I went there to get away from the lights. It was actually pretty dark as I had to use my flashlight to see, but there were some lights in the distance behind me as you can see from the bikes shadow on the crops. You can see the Milky Way in the sky. along with some meteorites.

DSC09762-1-3.jpg

Last edited:

Merlin III

Steve, Is that a time lapse photo or did you capture those meteorites all at once? Hope this make sense since I usually don't take photos, period.

Steven

It makes total sense... That was a timed exposure for 30 seconds. That's what it took just to able to see the Milky Way, otherwise it's invisible around here to the naked eye.

Thanks Woodswoman, that means a lot to me.

Steven

Folks I just thought I'd throw this picture in. It was taken the same night as the one with the bike above and in the same place. I ran it through Adobe Lightroom to improve it. Again it's the Milky Way. I'm rather excited about being able to take this so please don't get too upset. Someday I hope to be able to take a really good picture of this. What's really amazing is that it's the largest object in the sky and few people get to see it.

DSC09734-1-7.jpg

Last edited:

randy1149

GREAT pix Steven, that pix is professional quality, the Milky Way is never visible in lower NY. I had to go to the Grand Canon to see it.

Merlin III

Folks I just thought I'd throw this picture in. It was taken the same night as the one with the bike above and in the same place. I ran it through Adobe Lightroom to improve it. Again it's the Milky Way. I'm rather excited about being able to take this so please don't get too upset. Someday I hope to be able to take a really good picture of this. What's really amazing is that it's the largest object in the sky and few people get to see it.

View attachment 328

Very nice Steve. What is interesting here is perspective. The Milky Way is the largest object in the sky, but in reality, earth and our sun are part of it.

Steven

I'm envious. The first time I remember seeing it was in the northern peninsula of Michigan about 25 years ago. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention because I was out west a few times and I should have be able to see it. I won't make that mistake again. BTW, if you're interested look at it at shutterbug, it's a better picture than what you see here... https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/110075666487

Last edited: