What type of mileage on S mode.....

Woodswoman

BigO, I have not done an exhaustive investigation, but the one time I ran an entire tankful (of 87 octane with 10% ethanol) in Sport mode as an experiment, I got 56 miles to the gallon. By contrast, when I do the same running in Drive mode, I usually get around 61 MPG. This is on my regular commute to and from work, so I know the driving conditions are not a big factor in the difference.

How 'bout you?

casper

I commute 20 miles each way. Most of the time I'm in D. In freeway I put it into s so the dct isn't all over the place trying to find itself. I usually get between 68 and 71. Having said that, I ran the bluffs of Wisconsin and Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. Left it in s most of the way, about 250 miles, because of the bluffs, and filled at the end with a overall 71. I use non oxy 91 octane. We have it here normally in the summer because we have such high motorcycle, boat and jet ski use. About 50 cents in price higher per gallon. In winter it's the snowmobiles. In that regard we're lucky. I almost always use non ethanol. I've found that the ctx likes to be fed this the best. It will run just fine on 87 eth, but mileage and performance bumped for the non oxy. Plus you're actually improving the overall environment. Ethanol uses more energy to produce than it saves. It's a huge boon to the corn farmers here but realistically it's really not that great of an overall solution. Maybe as a transfer payment to the farmers I suppose, but for the environment not so much.

Last edited:

BigO1987

Thank you for the responses. I have not run a tank on full S mode, so this gives me a good idea what to expect. Not bad numbers , imo.

casper

BTW. I'm also working on using the dct's up and down gearing instead of my brakes. I'm having so much fun playing with that as a means of controlling this bike. This bike is so overall awesome it's scary. If Honda, and btw, America, only realized what they had in this one. Seriously. Dual caliper brakes. Actually put a left hand brake on it, on the dct, to be used either or with the foot brake, or alternately with the dual rotors it may not need anything more. Give it at least a belt drive. Shaft preferably. Plus a 900 to 1000 cc engine with the dct as an option, and they simply couldn't keep them in stock. Sell every single one. Not just a medium production either. This bike is an absolute gem. It has become one of my favorite bikes of all time. I loved the wee Strom too. But this one has just got so much of your best buddy in it. Nothing over the top. That's it's strength. You'll read about this one someday in rider magazine best buys.

casper

Thank you for the responses. I have not run a tank on full S mode, so this gives me a good idea what to expect. Not bad numbers , imo.

My bet is in full s mode, all the time you'll be between 61 and 64. S is really smoother. I like it alot. But I'm like the prius driver hypermiling here for the fun of that. More than enough power fooling with that, so why worry. In a pinch I drop it down a gear and no worries of the street. Interesting your getting as low as 56 Chris. Yet are you in higher elevation, or alot of hills? Something is different. My burg 650 was consistently, whatever the conditions, and I suppose that was the cvt, at about 54. Unless I hammered it, which I did, highest was 115, before I got scared, and that was 52-54. Worst ever was 49. So on a 50 cc bigger bike, getting literally 20 to 25% better mileage is unbelievable really.

Last edited:

Steven

I'm mostly in D mode with a fraction of that in S mode. I average about 65mpg +/- about 4 mpg on worse and better days.

Woodswoman

Interesting your getting as low as 56 Chris. Yet are you in higher elevation, or alot of hills? Something is different.

It's road conditions. There's this mountain pass I run up and down every day, since I live in the Catskill Mountains ski country but work in the Hudson Valley valley. Kicks the crud out of the gas mileage in my Subaru, too. Also, I don't exactly dawdle on that particular pass, which is plentifully twisty. (Hee, hee, hee!)

The crappy quality gas we have around here is a big factor, too. I took a vacation to West Virginia a couple of years ago, rode the tar out of 'Flicker,' in Sport mode the whole time, and got 70+ MPG day after day. I couldn't understand it -- until I realized that the gas station next to the hotel we stayed in, and where I tanked up every evening, sold nothing but ethanol-free fuel.

popeyoni

BTW. I'm also working on using the dct's up and down gearing instead of my brakes. I'm having so much fun playing with that as a means of controlling this bike. This bike is so overall awesome it's scary. If Honda, and btw, America, only realized what they had in this one. Seriously. Dual caliper brakes. Actually put a left hand brake on it, on the dct, to be used either or with the foot brake, or alternately with the dual rotors it may not need anything more. Give it at least a belt drive. Shaft preferably. Plus a 900 to 1000 cc engine with the dct as an option, and they simply couldn't keep them in stock. Sell every single one. Not just a medium production either. This bike is an absolute gem. It has become one of my favorite bikes of all time. I loved the wee Strom too. But this one has just got so much of your best buddy in it. Nothing over the top. That's it's strength. You'll read about this one someday in rider magazine best buys.

They still wouldn't sell that well in the US. Riders here can't fathom an automatic motorcycle. At the motorcycle show I kept hearing "So, it's a scooter?" and "Might as well get a scooter!".

I have a friend who is an avid BMW fan. He raves about BMW's shift assist, "because you don't have to use the clutch lever to shift".
I tell him that the DCT lets you shift manually without a clutch lever in addition to the full auto modes.
He still doesn't like it... AND he has a BMW convertible with a DCT transmission (he didn't know that until I pointed it out).

I think the Africa Twin will be the DCT to really change minds.

Steven

I was at a BMW dealer and they didn't realize that the CTX was full automatic. As for it being a scooter, in the right environment a scooter can run rings around a "real" motorcycle. different tools for different purposes.

Merlin III

I experienced those same comments at a recent BMW rally. However, It was my observation that more people came over to me to look at and discuss my bike than any of the 100 or so BMWS at the camp out.

Steven

What's also funny is that twice, I've had people ask me if the CTX was a BMW. Hmmm, maybe that's why other riders don't talk to me, they think I'm too high class for them, I'm laughing now...:cool:

Geophizz

I'm getting about 68-70 mpg in sport mode. Nobody has confused mine for a BMW, but every Harley guy I see tells me to trade it in for a Harley. Then again, I think they do that to every other brand.

randy1149

I ride with ALL Harley riders. None of them tell me to trade it in for a Harley because in the back roads they can't keep up with me. I see them disappearing in my mirror. So they keep their comments to themselves. And that's a fact.

Steven

Randy, that's rather interesting. Every bike has it's place where it excels. I don't think there's any bike I would prefer over the CTX, but that's just me. :)

Shanghai Dan

I get 50-52 MPG in full S mode. I get 56-57 MPG in D mode.

Blame the low mileage on crappy California gas and my 320 pound butt getting hauled up and down 8% grades... :)

Shanghai Dan

Yeah, about 10%. But There is a mode between - D with manual override! I do that a lot - leave it in D but manually click down when I want a lower gear.

Steven

I do that too. it all depends on traffic or road conditions. In heavy quick moving traffic I like S mode, on the curves out of town where I speed up and down I like M, and the rest of the time I like D, having choices is nice.