What did you do to your CTX today?

Glen e

The basic idea came from my brothers bike that he toured with, a Buell with adventure style bags.

I have used pelican type cases for years for cameras, electronics, hiking etc. they are waterproof, a great value ($70 per bag!) and can be thrown off a cliff. They are the exact size I wanted and they fit the bike perfectly for me. I don’t like big bulbous bags, as I said above, I like the adventure look of a square flat bag. I never need to store a helmet in the bags. Case club provided that and can provide several different sizes. I added ADMORE lights that strobe flash with brakes, as you can see here, That mod is whole Nother discussion. The bags are thru bolted With 5/16 bolts and nylock nuts. I use canvas zipper bags liners and pack those, so I never really have to take them back off. I don’t plan on electrifying the top bag, Reflective tape is enough.

The bag: I added the carbon fiber and Honda logo.

http://www.caseclub.com/CC130963ISK.htm

This is the bracket that is sold by one of the moderators at the other site – JFC – for about 130 a pair. They are perfect and made for the bike , he has a machine shop make them for him. You order through him.

The admore lights
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/admore-lighting-universal-flush-mount-led-kit-for-flat-sidecases

Last edited:

Spirit 4

I have done quite a few things to my CTX700N since the purchase in 2015. I was asked by a few subscribers to my YouTube channel if I would detail the changes and mods. After several requests I decided to make a video showing the bits and pieces and ultimately a list with costs at the end! Yikes I hit $2K!! Here is the link to my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imcQFFlUJi0

Jimmy H.
AKA Spirit 4

casper

Does anyone know of cases like these that are top loaders? That fits my needs better than side openings.

dyenfd

Finished phase 1 of my larger fuel tank installation. The first step was to fit a different air filter.
I selected a K & N RC-2400 filter and accomplished the following modifications:
1. Modified the air cleaner connecting tube as shown:
Modified Air Cleaner Connecting Tube.jpg
2. Inserted the air filter coupling (dimensions shown) made from pvc.
Air Filter Coupling.jpg
3. Altered the air filter by drilling two 3/4" holes and inserting the grommet and air temperature sensor and a 15 mm hose barb.
Modified RC-2400.jpg
4. Installed air cleaner coupling
Air cleaner coupling installed.jpg
5. Installed oil filter after hooking up Vent and air temperature sensor.

Fred

Attachments

• RC-2400 Side View.jpg
    RC-2400 Side View.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 109

Woodswoman

Finished phase 1 of my larger fuel tank installation. The first step was to fit a different air filter.
I selected a K & N RC-2400 filter and accomplished the following modifications:

VERY good work, Fred! Thank you.

I'd like to see this as a free-standing post, for convenient reference in the future.

dyenfd

VERY good work, Fred! Thank you.

I'd like to see this as a free-standing post, for convenient reference in the future.
Perhaps when I fabricate the larger fuel tank. Trying to decide whether it should copy and replace the fuel tank cover only or include both
Right and left side shelters.
Fred

MJC

Super Moderator
I like the Caribou Case Liners, they give you the best of both worlds of top loading and side loading motorcycle luggage – when you open the case nothing falls out, you can see and access all of your gear easily, and you can leave long items strapped across the rear seat and still get the case open.

http://cariboucases.com/Accessories-and-Spares/caribou-case-liners-for-40l-side-luggage-pair.html

I have the Honda side bags and a top case but just for fun priced out:
Single 40 Liter SKB Case with Lid Lock (x3, 2 for sides, one top case)
Caribou Case Liners for 40L Side Luggage - Pair (link above- for side bags)
Caribou Side Case Lid Organizer (for one side bag)
Caribou Inner Bags - Pair (bags that go with you, they fit the 35 Liter bags but installed in the 40L have room on sides)
Caribou Tie Down Bracket - 8 Pack (two each on side bags, four on top case)
SOLAS Grade Reflective Tape Kit (just for safety)
ROK Straps - Four Pack (work with the tie down brackets, to hold things to top case and across pas seat)
Total was, $692. plus shipping
I (or someone) would still need to buy brackets to hold all the bags on. Or you could make brackets for the side bags and use the Honda lag rack, and just bolt everything on but it would not be removable.
That is what I would do and now I am thinking if I sold the factory side bags and brackets? Could I afford to switch to the above set up? .........

Thanks guys..putting ideas into my head......does the 40 liter case hold a full size helmet....should I take photos of that I have to sell....hell it is too cold to go outside....why did I check out this thread....them Case Liners sure are nice.........

MJC

Super Moderator
As long as your going full out, get an Admore LED strip that ties the bags to the brake light.....

Thanks Glen e, My wife saw this over my shoulder and said " I saw them lights seating in the garage over the summer" to which I said, maybe something like that..and she said " You got more things in that garage, I bet you got 3 pairs of saddle bags, two fairing, 3 top cases, and a hole lot of things in boxes you do not think I know about".... I just smiled.

Had to move to other page on the net.... Now I am thinking, what else does she know about? lol.

mj

BTW, I have 3 Admore LED strips. One for each bag and one for top case.....think she only saw two! lol.

Last edited:

Woodswoman

Applied where, Glen?