Let's see your large saddlebags

rickster

My biggest question is how do you get an even mount on both sides. You have to drill holes in the jfc brackets. Then square the bags up on there. Plus get at the grab bars so I can get the C up on the centerstand.

Casper...It's not too difficult. The jfc brackets are really solid. Too solid for my home hand held drill to deal with (I don't own a press). So, I marked one of the brackets as to where I wanted the holes and had a local machine shop clamp them together symmetrically and put four holes into each of them at once. This makes the hole positions identical for each side. After mounting the brackets to the CTX, I oriented one of the bags as I wanted and reached behind the brackets to mark the bag with a Magic Marker where each of the four holes were (Sing "A little help from my friends" here...an extra set of hands is most useful) . Then, I drilled that bag and mounted it to the bracket to make sure that it fit as I wanted. Once satisfied I took it off of the bracket. Next, I aligned the bags side by side on my floor and marked the undrilled bag using the Magic Marker through the holes in the drilled bag. I then drilled the second bag. At this point, the brackets and the bags are all drilled identically in mirror image. Bolt 'em up. Fill 'em up. Go for a multi-day tour. Post photos of you and your CTX up on Passo San Somewhere when you're done!

Last edited:

Brunnka_CTX

Hi Brunnka,

Could you be kind enough to give us some measurements of the inside dimensions of those bags. I like the way they are designed, and look like they have great capacity, but (like I've said about other bags), you don't now what you can get into them based solely on the volume capacity. The H & B site gives dimensions, but fails to say if those are outside or inside dimensions, and if the length and width are of the longest& widest spots near the center seam or the corner to corner sizes. It's nice that they integrated a handle into the design

Dave,
The Hepco and Becker journey 42L boxes interior measurements are 19.75” across the top and 18.5” across the bottom. The side of the box that mounts to the bike is 6.75” deep and the lid is 4.5” deep for a total of 11.25 inches. The box Height is 12.5” at the side which is the lowest point. These boxes would have to be mounted using the Hepco and Becker “lock-it” side carrier. For those of us have the naked bike this is fine since the kit was developed for the naked bike and includes everything you need. On the other hand, if you have the Fairing vision, you would have to remove the Honda grab bars and replace the Honda inner supports with those supplied by Hepco and Becker. The H&B mounting system is designed to allow the side carrier to be taken on and off bike quickly and easily. I like this, but I like the naked bike. I’ll try to attach some pictures. Please excuse the magnet. I took these pictures in order to prove to someone that H&B rack were made on steel and not aluminum.

H&B_SC_RR-5114.jpguntitled shoot-7297.jpgH&B_SC_RR-5116.jpg

Woodswoman

A word of caution about the Hepco & Becker mounting system:

I've read it is not compatible with the Honda rear luggage rack. Can't confirm from experience, but an interested purchaser who is already rolling with the OEM rack might want to research first.

Brunnka_CTX

A word of caution about the Hepco & Becker mounting system:

I've read it is not compatible with the Honda rear luggage rack. Can't confirm from experience, but an interested purchaser who is already rolling with the OEM rack might want to research first.

Your right, you would have to go with the Hepco and Becker rear luggage rack. That's the rack you see in the pictures I posted. It's made to allow the side carrier to be take on and off without removing the rear rack. The H&B back rack comes with a set of inner supports, but if you using it with the side carrier, use the inner supports provided with it.

Glen e

Yeah, I bolted them on jfc's brackets, and then found a saddle bag liner that I pack and just take out and go in the house. I really have not yet come up with a way to make them quik detachable, and I sourced a few friends of mine that are geniuses in fabrication to no avail. Big screw knob bolts on the inside would make them detachable, but the knob intrudes too far into the bag.Viking saddlebags sells a quick disconnect mechanism, but as said above, they add almost 2 inches to each side which is unacceptable…If you decide to bolt them on, use large fender washers, hex-cap bolts and nylock nuts and stainless washers.

Last edited:

krissspencer

I LOVE that look! That's the look I want. Can you tell me the box measurements? I want that BMW/Industrial look and this is perfect! Are these bags from Caseclub? Do you have have a topbox? Can I see inside the box where you attached? I think an innerliner will do what I want anyway. Grocery shopping and work stuff...just grab one of the dozens of bags I already have...or go to the thrift store...nobody sees that but me!
Thanks so much! I'm comparing Harbor Freight Tools with CaseClub today. Just ordered my JFC's brackets. Getting ready to order backrest brackets and rear carrier. EEEK! So excited. Many years saving for this stuff!!!

Yeah, I bolted them on jfc's brackets, and then found a saddle bag liner that I pack and just take out and go in the house. I really have not yet come up with a way to make them quik detachable, and I sourced a few friends of mine that are geniuses in fabrication to no avail. Big screw knob bolts on the inside would make them detachable, but the knob intrudes too far into the bag.Viking saddlebags sells a quick disconnect mechanism, but as said above, they add almost 2 inches to each side which is unacceptable…If you decide to bolt them on, use large fender washers, hex-cap bolts and nylock nuts and stainless washers.

Mcdaddy70

Looks like you bolted to the mounts a bit forward and lower then center from the middle of the side panels? Have ordered the brack and am thinking of the same bags...just in a flat black. Thanks in advance for any input. Dave

burdicda

Here are some examples of surplus bags both on my bike and a guy traveling all over the country on an nc700x similar

5963cff44b974.image.jpgDSC_0939.jpgDSC_0940.jpgDSC_0941.jpgDSC_0942.jpg

Winterrider

Yes, it's a Russel Day Long seat. The backrest is their standard one.

View attachment 1023

View attachment 1024

What do you want to know about it?

I thought they don't do backrests. I have Low Corbin with aftermarket backrest and it puts me to close to a tank and it's very hard too. But still better than OEM seat for sure. Too bad Russel is so expensive... Will think about it, maybe will sell Corbin and get Russel later...

Steven

I thought they don't do backrests. I have Low Corbin with aftermarket backrest and it puts me to close to a tank and it's very hard too. But still better than OEM seat for sure. Too bad Russel is so expensive... Will think about it, maybe will sell Corbin and get Russel later...

They sell two different backrests. The other one is a bit lower. I have mine adjusted all the way back and it feels about right. I can ride straight up without touching it. Remember that with this backrest you have to step over the bike rather than swing your leg over.

Since I've never had a Corbin I can only go by what I've read. Basically the Corbin is usually better than stock and the RDL is better than the Corbin. How much better I can't say.