Bad information... AGAIN.

randy1149

Rebel13 is at it again, what he posted on the other "forum" concerning moisture in an engine.

by Rebel13
That is one of the biggest fairy tails dealing with automotive engines!

#1 Motor oil does mix with water!
#2 The boiling point of water is 200-212F depending on the altitude, under pressure and it becomes even higher.
#3 Typical engine operation at the crank is 180F.
#4 An engine is mostly sealed from gathering moister.
#5 Constant high velocity oil sloshing makes for an impossible oil/water seperation.

So as you can see, the engine can never get hot enough to steam or let water vapor escape when at proper operating temperature. If you don't believe this, add some water to your oil and observe for yourself what happens! In your theory, it will vape out in some time. Truth is, it never will! When water is introduced into motor oil, it will typically turn into a light chocolate milky texture. If you change oil enough, you will see this from time to time, from a couple dops to all of it depending how severe/much water has been added to the oil.

Short trips are not bad~

His "theory" moisture in an engine can not be removed unless the engine temperature is above 212 is absolutely wrong... the water can never be removed because it doesn't reach boiling point. He is confusing boiling point and water evaporation. Water evaporates even down to 32 degrees. The moisture in an engine will be evaporated running at normal temperatures.

And "Sort trips are not bad" is the worst information/recommendation I've ever seen by a moderator. Short trips are the number 1 cause of engine wear and tear... bar none. EDIT: I should add the cold starts with the short trips are the contributions to engine wear.

How the owners of that forum allow this kind of misinformation posted is beyond me.

The post is not challenged because the mods and the forum has all their members so afraid of being banned the post stands... that's a shame.

Last edited:

Steven

Randy - Proof of what you say... CLOUDS!

This is from the Mobile website...

Water can get into the oil two ways. You generally don't have to worry about one of the ways if you drive your car enough to burn off the water during normal driving. This drives off the moisture that simply comes from your engine breathing when it is not being used (cold air enters a hot engine and water condenses) and from combustion byproducts. The second more destructive route is through a coolant leak due to a bad gasket, an engine crack, etc. This amount of moisture is generally going to cause serious engine issues including loss of power, oil sludging, etc. Consult your mechanic when in doubt.

Notice the second sentence, "
You generally don't have to worry about one of the ways if you drive your car enough to burn off the water during normal driving.". This indicates that short rides may cause water to build up in the engine.

Other things that need to be considered are that when an engine is first started, the engine parts have very little oil on them and the oil pump isn't pumping at full pressure. It's only for a short while, but do it enough times and it would probably have an effect on engine longevity. The other thing is that cold oil doesn't go through the pump as fast as it does when warm, nor does it coat the parts as it would when up to operating temperature.

I have no idea whether this is a serious matter, or not, but in theory, it makes a difference.

Remember, Rebel is the guy who carries lawnmower style gas cans on his bike. That's the most stupid thing I have ever heard.
BTW, he lives in Georgia, why does he need to carry gas when there is a gas station on every corner? He's also the guy that put his bike on a flimsy rear wheel stand and ran the engine/ with transmission engaged up to full speed.

MJC

Super Moderator
Well it is with no surprise to anyone that I do not care for Rebel, only because of the things he has said to me that are totally wrong. But I must say the biggest mis-info he has posted on that forum is "Rebel13 - Motorcycle Mechanic" at the bottom of his posts and his facebook page of the same name.

Yes the above post by Randy "Bad information... AGAIN" is just one more on the list of just plan wrong, the number 1 has got to be "Motorcycle Mechanic". I did check out his FB page and it shows things that any person can do with a shop manual and some tools. You can read all about how he replaced the handlebars etc...and places he has been too. The funny thing to me is: All the bikes that he says he worked on, are his bikes, he buys them, says he fixes them, and shows places he went to, but (and here it the funny part) he rides his CTX700 to places, not the bikes he fixes! Maybe they are not done? Maybe the work he does to fix them was not the problem? Maybe saying you are a Mechanic is one thing and being one is other? Maybe you need real tools and a real lift? To me I think you need at least a few people who pay you to work on their bike. Seems to me he is missing that when the only work you do is on your own bikes that does not make you a mechanic, that makes you a motorcycle owner who does his own maintenance. That would make you?................not a mechanic.

? the way to become a Motorcycle Mechanic? You buy a new CTX700, manual not DCT, you do things to it and take photos, it does not matter if they work well or not or if they are safe, may cause harm or not, keep posting on a Forum 1000s of times, (now what you did to your bike) members will ask questions so you post a relay and tell members how to do things, others come up with ideas and you post to those treads adding your 2 cents (because you know everything), members start thinking that maybe what you say is BS so you remove them from the forum, you keep telling the other members who post why you right right (all the time) until......you start a Face Book page, start posting on it, then go back to the Forum adding in that you are now a Motorcycle Mechanic. no need to have worked in a shop before, or to go to a motorcycle repair school, no need to work at a dealership, all you need is a few bikes that you can buy take apart take photos, post photos, say you fixed them and wa-la you are a Motorcycle Mechanic!

Man I can not believe I wasted years in classes, time getting my hands dirty, hours learning about new models, engines, trans etc. and all I had to do was just have a FB page, a Forum where I could remove anyone who does not agree with me and be able to tell everyone how much I know and how wrong they are.

I am only joking but for real YOU SHOULD NEVER BELIEVE WHAT ANYONE SAYS IF THEY START OFF KNOWING EVERYTHING, for a person who knows everything is not open to learning so how did that person know everything if they never where open to learning in the 1st place? That would be called....BS and the person taking BS is a Bullshit Artist. Do not be surprised if you see "Rebel13 - Motorcycle Mechanic, Artist" at the bottom of his forum post soon! LOL.

ofdave

No question there is the constant posting of wrong info.
I am amazed that the mods there post in nearly every thread as though they are the experts.
A while back there was heated discussion on chain cleaning and jfc got on his high horse over it. That maybe one of the times I got banned for "challenging" a mod. Anyway, in the original thread there was mention of chain cleaning (by me) using kerosene as recommended by Yamaha and Suzuki. Ol' jfc lit into that. Fast forward to a month or two ago and, guess what jfc now says chain cleaning with kerosene is a preferred method. And this said as the "expert" he is.
Oh, I will "challenge" a mod if he post BS, and they do a lot. It's really sad that so many hang on every (wrong) word they post.
Bottom line, take what is said by those two with a grain of salt. They are more often wrong than correct.

Steven

Anyone who lacks knowledge about a subject thinks that people with a little knowledge knows it all, at least that the way it seems to them. That's how they get away with what they do. Even experts are often wrong because we all have our prejudices about different things., i.e. the CTX700 is the all around best bike. Well, it is! :)

randy1149

I've been banned from that forum (as with ofdave) many times. But there's way's to re-register to get back in which has been posted in this forum. I have taken the position re-registering but NOT posting there and especially not to post when I see such egregious posts by the mods. Attempting to correct the misinformation only creates arguments and banning by the moderators.

burdicda

I go there to inform others about here...LOL
Anytime someone posts anything authoritatively the moderators just can't help themselves....