Riding two up in the Sierra Nevada...

rickster

Now that it's warming up in the Sacramento Valley, (100 degrees today) I'm encouraged to ride my CTX700 into our nearby Sierra Nevada mountains. Last week it was a one day trip around the west shore of Lake Tahoe...this week something a bit different. From my home 30 miles east of Sacramento, along with my wife as pillion, I put the bike on I-80 and connected to Hwy 49 in Auburn. The traffic getting through Auburn is a hassle, but I knew that once I got out of town and into the pine forests that it would be worth it. It was. Just after Nevada City Hwy. 49 connects to Hwy. 20, a beautiful, twisty, forested route that takes one into the Sierra to the 5,500 ft elevation before rejoining I-80. From the junction we took I 80 to the Soda Springs exit so as to enjoy the old Donner Pass Highway which at one time was the famed "Lincoln Highway", the first transcontinental route. Just after the pass there is a vista point with an excellent view of Donner Lake as it sits in a bowl surrounded by high peaks. The lake is most well known because of the tragedy of the ill-fated Donner Party, a group trying to get their wagon train over the pass before winter snows set in. Their timing couldn't have been worse, they became stranded and resorted to cannibalism to survive. Somehow, I never think of the horror as I look down on the lake from above...it is such a serene view.

Done gawking and having dodged a well packed snowball thrown by my wife we continued through Truckee and over Brockway Summit on Hwy. 267. Brockway is a steep bugger...when I was able to bicycle we got our tandem up to 60 miles an hour coming down this puppy! Riding two up on a grade like this with the CTX is fine, but don't expect to sail over in 6th gear. As we descended from the summit, the expanse of Lake Tahoe unfolded in front of us and then disappeared countless times as we leaned left, then right through the turns. Riding along the lake's shore it was pleasantly cool as we zipped through Kings Beach, Crystal Bay, and Incline Village. Now in Nevada we continued around the lake to Hwy. 50 where we headed east. We stopped in Carson City for a bit of nourishment and continued eastbound on 50 to the junction of Hwy. 341 which would take us to our overnight lodging in the wild west town of "Bonanza" fame, Virginia City.

Virginia City looks much as it did in the mid to late 1800's when gold and silver were discovered. It is full of saloons, all of which do a good business. For us, the road had made us thirsty and it was beer at the notorious "Bucket of Blood Saloon". Virginia City is fun to hang out in. There weren't a lot of other tourists in town this May, and as we walked the main street visiting other saloons, we found a piece of "unique" artwork. It's a giant image of a woman whose dress is made entirely of silver dollars. If you're planning on following this tour, we recommend staying at Edith Palmers Country Inn. It's a B&B with a great restaurant and a very friendly staff who will take their time in getting you oriented to the city, share the history of the area and make you feel right at home.

The trip home was simple...we left Virginia City on Hwy 341 and descended Geiger Grade to Hwy 580 which is also Hwy 395 going north. We went through Reno out to Hallelujah Junction at Hwy 70 and headed west to Hwy 49. We cruised along 49 taking in the spectacular views of Sierra Valley, traveled through Loyalton, Sierraville, over Yuba Pass and down through Sierra City and Downieville. Approaching Sierra City the views of the snowclad Sierra Buttes is inspiring. If you are interested, this is a truly scenic tour that's both beautiful and loaded with interesting things to do.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg
Donner Lake seen from the viewpoint below the summit of the old Hwy 40/Lincoln Hwy

IMG_0044.jpg
You have to go for a drink to feel the history! The bartender told me that in the 1800's it was such a "rough bar" that in the morning when they'd mop the floors and empty the mop bucket, it would be red with blood. Hence the name. Now, how's that for the wild, wild west?

IMG_0047.jpg
The Silver Lady...the dress is all silver dollars.

Last edited:

Woodswoman

I've come back and re-read this several times now, and admired the photos.

Gosh, beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing with us.