A quick question -- an alternative gas cap?

Bubbaslye

My age ( advanced one might say ) has given me arthritic fingers, so I find dealing with the bike's locking gas cap more than a little irksome.

I brought the problem to the dealer's service department, but alas no help was forthcoming.

Hence, I'm wondering -- has anyone here a recommendation as to how I might go about replacing the locking cap with one that simply twists off? Yes, there are quite a few aftermarket gas caps out there, but I've no clear idea of how to find the precise one that will fit.

I'm most grateful for any assistance you might be able to offer!

ofdave

Hey and welcome, Bubbaslye!
first post and a good question.
Looked at the cap and tank and I don't see a way for a screw cap to fit. That would take a reshape of the cap opening.
There are some who do have difficulty with the stock cap, but it becomes easy once you are familiar with the operation.
To remove, turn the key and lift the cap up and off. Don't remove or turn the key nor turn the cap and lift it up.
To reinstall, put the cap on (still not having touched the key) with the little arrow on the cap pointing forward and push down on the cap without touching the key or turning the cap-just push straight down lightly When the cap seats into place the key will turn by itself and can then be removed and put back in the ignition.
It's like no other cap you've used and does take some getting used to.

burdicda

Have you seen anyone else remove and replace that gas cap ?
So you have a big long key that you put into the cap and turn a quarter turn from above clockwise and the cap comes up and off
Then you leave the key in the cap and put it back into the hole with the arrow pointing up and with the key still in the cap
push down on the cap and it drops down and locks back...

If this is painful for you to do it this way...I guess someone without arthritic fingers....would not understand. it would first appear to me that a normal gas cap would be super painful to use as you have to reach down into that little cavern and deal with the whole cap on and off.

Let us know what you find tnx...

Bubbaslye

Thank you both . . . fool that I am, I hadn't realized that simply leaving the key in the cap simplifies the whole "operation" greatly -- while I would still prefer a different cap, I'm now finding this one a whole lot easier.

Again, I thank you!~